Welcome to Particle's knowledge base! Here you’ll find all the tools you need to create and distribute flawless digital content. Create a newsletter campaign, edit photos, choose cover images, send messages to your staff—and more—all from Particle. We’ll take you from start to finish and beyond so that you can share your story. Let’s get started!
Think of a project like a brand. A project contains an entire series of content. For example: Fern’s Bakery can create a project for "Fern’s Bakery," which might feature a weekly newsletter about the bakery, a monthly magazine, a daily blog, etc. But Fern’s can also create another project for her sister company, Flora’s Coffee, which features separate content. Creating a project is the first step in setting up your Particle. You'll be able to title your project, add logos, and adjust the theme settings for everything you produce in that project (think subscribe button colors, share settings, table of contents templates).
Click on a project tile from the dashboard to look inside. You’ll find a list of all associated collections (published, not published, and modified), and recent actions and notifications.
A collection features a series of articles that can be arranged as a tiled or linear Table of Contents. Click on a collection to edit basic information, add a cover image, view assigned articles, and more. Click the “+” on the "Collections" tab to create begin.
Manage the technical details of your collection once the "new collection" form appears. Title your collection, give it a price (or keep it free!), add a cover, and more. Fields marked with a star must be filled out for the collection to save, but you can come back at any time to edit this information. When you've filled out the necessary fields, click "save."
- Meta: Here you can edit the collection title, ISBN, description, and other technical details. If you choose a tiled ToC layout, your description will appear in its own tile on the webpage.
- Cover: Add a cover image and header color. The cover image displays internally and on the public library panel.
- Issue Credit: Add credits to your collection. Who wrote the stories, took the photos, authored your videos?
- Articles: Shows all articles included in the collection. Click on the title of any article to edit that entry.
Articles can be created as stand-alone stories, or as part of a series for a collection or newsletter. With unique layout templates, a powerful photo editing program, and interactive modules like slideshows and audio links, anyone can design a story that makes a statement. Click the "+" on the articles tab to create a new article, and then select one of the template options. You can add or subtract modules in a template at any time, giving you the chance to design your own templates, too.
Text: To add text to an article, double-click inside an existing text module or drag a new text block from the right toolbar. Your selected text block will now have a red border, and you can either type directly into the space or copy and paste already written content--the formatting will not change.
Images: Images can be added in several formats: a horizontal image block is best for wider, medium-sized images while a vertical image is best for tall, large images, and multiple images can be featured in the various collage templates. Double-click inside an image module to upload a .png or .jpg file from your computer. You will be able to scale and crop the photo inside the image block, or you can open Particle's photo editing system (see "Edit" below).
You will find several other features under the image settings on the right toolbar:
- Extract color: Extract the background color from the uploaded image. If the image doesn’t fit the image block exactly, the system will automatically fill in the margins with a shade based on the image’s color scheme.
- Place: Compress an image that has been arranged within an image block. The “Place” button will cut the image to fit those dimensions. “Placing” lets pages load faster while keeping your image looking as beautiful as possible.
- Restore: If you decide you want to change a focal point, resize, or crop an image differently, the “Restore” button will revert the image back to its original state.
- Edit: The “Edit” button will open Aviary, where you can enhance your image by balancing color levels, adding special effects, fixing blemishes, and more.
- Captions: All image modules give you the option to add a caption. If you do not wish to add text below the photo, click the red "x" and the caption field will disappear.
Modules: A module is a framework you can use to add text and images in a variety of ways. To insert a module, just drag-and-drop it wherever you choose in the body of the article.
- Break: Make a space between blocks of text, images, etc.
- Bulleted List: Create a bulleted list. Hitting the return/enter key will create a new bullet.
- Carousel: Insert a sliding display featuring images and captions. Add or delete slides from the carousel settings on the right toolbar.
- Carousel Numbered: Insert a numbered sliding display for images and captions. "Carousel numbered" displays images on the left and a caption slide to the right.
- Category: A category label distinguishes between topics and sections in your collection.
- Event: Organize information regarding events, including the event name, address, and timetable.
- Image Horizontal: Showcase a horizontal image.
- Image Vertical: Feature a vertical image.
- Image Two: Display two vertical images side-by-side.
- Lead: Subtitle your article or distinguish a subheading.
- Paragraph Lead: Add a paragraph with a subheading lead.
- Paragraph: No frills here--use this module for text.
- Paragraph with Drop Cap: Insert a block of text with a drop cap.
- Places: Share information about places, including the place name, purpose, address, and any relevant links.
- Slideshow: Combine captivating images with complimentary captions. Similar to a carousel, slideshows include a title slide and a description slide.
- Tour: Show details about tours.
- Video: Feature a video alongside your text and images by pasting the YouTube or Vimeo url into the right sidebar. Particle supports Touchcast, the premier video-web software.
- Format: Use the format section to change font sizes and colors, copy and paste text, and more. Basically, use these tools to make your text look exactly the way you want it to.
Article Title: Change the title of your article on the top of the right toolbar. This title will decide the article's url, too.
Don't bother anymore with third-party services to send your emails... Particle's newsletter delivers your stories straight to readers' inboxes. Click "+" on the newsletter tab to start a new campaign (see "metadata" for more on what details to add).
Campaigns: Clicking on "campaigns" lets you view a list of all your newsletter campaigns. To edit a campaign, click on its linked title.
- Metadata: Give your newsletter a title, email subject, description, and upload header/footer logos. Be sure to hit "save" once you've entered data, or that information will be lost.
- Articles: See which articles are assigned to a particular campaign and reorder (or delete) stories as you wish. To reorder articles, drag and drop that entry where you wish. To delete an article, check the box on the left hand side and then click delete.
- Newsletter Template: Here you can preview how your newsletter will look in an inbox.
- Recipients: Manage your recipient list for each campaign.
- Analytics: Check views, user demographics, shares, clicks, bounces, unsubscribers, and more.
- Test: Next to the "send" button on the upper right corner of the template, you can send test emails to your own inbox. If you're sending a test to multiple people, separate each email address with a comma.
Subscribers: Manage newsletter subscribers by adding, removing, or viewing their profiles. You can add new subscribers manually and import addresses from a csv form; there is also the option to export all the addresses as a csv, and the ability to remove subscribers individually.
The ToC (Table of Contents) tab allows you to preview a collection's table of contents. Using the view controls, you can see how your TOC will appear on a number of different platforms.
The Tile Settings sidebar will appear on the right side of your screen if you click on an article tile. This allows you to assign stories to tiles, insert external links, and change titles. Click “apply” after any edits to save the updated version of your article tile.
The magazine tab allows you to include general information about the collection, including contact information and FAQ’s.
Magazine Credits: Give credit where credit is due. Use this tab to add credit information for authors, editors, and other contributors to your collection.
About: Include a synopsis of your company, a company logo, website links, and social media links to introduce yourself to interested readers.
Contact Us: Don’t let the fun end with just the collection. Let your readers know where they can find you with your company’s basic contact details.
FAQ: Include Frequently Asked Questions to give readers more information about subscriptions, collection access, and logins.
Manage Subscription: Include subscription information in your compilation.
“First Time” Pop up: Give a brief introduction to first-time viewers to your compilation.
“Want More?” Pop up: For limited access magazines, let people know where they can subscribe.